Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions about our Business Professional Certificates are listed below.  Click on the question text to reveal the answer.  


What are the admission criteria for this program?

It is recommended that you have experience or training that is related to the course or certificate.

    Go to top...

Do I need to take the courses in order?

No. Courses can be taken in any order. There are no prerequisite courses for any of the Certificate courses. 

    Go to top...

Can I register for courses if I am not interested in completing the certificate?

Absolutely. All certificate courses can be taken for professional development or interest purposes.

If you are pursuing the Diploma in School Board Administration (DSBA), you are also able to mix and match courses from the various certificates in order to achieve elective requirements.

    Go to top...

How are courses conducted?

Each course is 5-days in length and is delivered in-person at the University of Guelph campus. Courses take place annually during the month of July. Classes are scheduled from Monday to Friday, 8:30am- 5:00pm, with a final examination scheduled on the last day.

    Go to top...

Where are courses held?

All of the Certificate courses listed on this website are delivered in-person at the University of Guelph campus.

    Go to top...

I am enrolled in the Diploma in School Board Administration Program. How should I select my electives?

To achieve the Diploma in School Board Administration, 4 elective courses are required from the Professional Certificates that are outlined on this website. You would have two choices: (1) Achieve one Certificate by completing the 4 associated courses over a 4-year period; OR (2) Mix and match courses from the various Certificates which offers the potential to complete the elective requirements in less time.  It is recommended that you select courses that will support your career goals. Each year, six Certificate courses are offered over a three week period (2 courses per week) and you would be able to enroll in a maximum of one course per week.

    Go to top...

What courses do I need to complete the certificate?

To complete the certificate, you will need to successfully complete the associated 4 certificate courses. Successful completion requires a 50% passing grade. Refer to the Certificate pages to see what 4 courses are required.

    Go to top...

How do I receive my certificate?

After successfully completing the associated 4 certificate courses, please complete and submit the  Certificate Request Form.  Your certificate will be processed and mailed within 4 weeks from the date that your request was received.

    Go to top...

Do certificate courses count as electives in the Diploma in School Board Administration?

Successfully completed certificate courses can be applied as electives to the Diploma in School Board Administration`s (DSBA) elective course requirement. If you are working towards your DSBA, you also have the option to mix and match courses from different certificates to meet your elective requirements. Courses taken prior to 2007 will be considered an elective if you wrote the exam for that course in the year that the course was offered.  Please visit for more details about the Diploma in School Board Administration.

    Go to top...

Can courses from other university or college programs be used as course equivalencies?

Unfortunately not.  Courses from other university and/or college programs cannot be considered as course equivalencies.

    Go to top...

How long will it take for me to complete a Certificate?

Certificates can be achieved in 4 years. One Certificate course is offered per year.

    Go to top...

Do I need to purchase a textbook for the courses?

Each course will have its own material requirements. Students may be required to purchase a text(s).  You will be notified of course requirements via the course confirmation letter. 

    Go to top...

What is the course cancellation policy?

Course Policy: Transfers, Withdrawals, Refunds, Cancellations or Postponements
1. Transfers:
• A $100.00 administrative fee applies for transfers requested less than 15 working days before the course start date.

2. Withdrawals (‘Drop’):
• If for any reason you wish to withdraw from a course, please utilize the OpenEd Student Portal to drop the course.
• Using your username and password, login selecting the ‘I already have an account’ option.
• Go to the ‘My Enrolment History’ option under the Student Portal tab.
• There will be a drop button to the right-hand side of the course that you wish to be removed from.
• If you have technical difficulties, contact Open Learning and Educational Support (OpenEd) at or (519) 767-5000.
• Failure to attend / participate in a course does not constitute notification of withdrawal and will result in forfeiture of the entire course fee. To avoid academic penalty (receiving a grade of F on your academic record), you must withdraw from the course by the 3rd day of class to avoid academic. No withdrawals after the 3rd class day will be accepted.

3. Refunds:
• Up to 30 calendar days prior to the course start date, a full refund.
• Between 15-30 days prior to the course start, a refund, less a $100.00 fee.
• Between 8-14 days prior to the course start, a refund, less a $250.00 fee.
• No refund will be issued for withdrawals from the course less 1 week prior to the course start date. However, substitute students are welcome.
• Parking fees are non-refundable at any time.
• Textbooks are non-refundable and cannot be returned.
• Your course materials (as applicable) and original receipt must be returned to OpenEd for a refund to be issued.

4. Cancellations or Postponements:
• OpenEd reserves the right to change or cancel a course at any time. When it is necessary to cancel or postpone a course, OpenEd will make every effort to notify all students. It is important that you provide your full contact information including an email address when registering. In such cases, the paid course fee(s) will be refunded.
• OpenEd’s liability is limited to the reimbursement of paid course fee(s). OpenEd will not support will not be responsible for travel or other related expenses incurred by the registrant.

If you require Academic Consideration, please contact the Academic Assistant to the Director, Jessica Martin, immediately.

    Go to top...

Is there any form of financial assistance available for these courses?

You may be eligible to receive a bursary award towards an Open Learning and Educational Support continuing education activity and/or Open Learning program. Visit for more information.

    Go to top...

Do you have a question we have not answered?

Visit our "Contact Us" page.

    Go to top...

What is considered a passing grade?

In order to successfully complete your course and apply credit(s) towards the associated Certificate or towards the Diploma in School Board Administration, you are required to pass the final written examination (grade of 50% or higher) and pass the course with a final grade of 50% or higher.   

At the end of each course, grade reports will be sent via mail since grades are only considered official if communicated by the University of Guelph via mail.  As a result, grades cannot be shared by telephone, fax or email. 

    Go to top...